Ms. Herzeca advises public and private companies, private equity firms, and investment banks, on significant legal and business matters, including mergers and acquisitions, equity investments, license agreements and joint ventures. Although she counsels companies in a wide range of industries, she specializes in the fashion and retail industries.
Ms. Herzeca was named a "Dealmaker of the Year 2012" by The American Lawyer for her representation of Transatlantic Holdings, Inc. in its $3.4 billion business combination transaction with Alleghany Corporation. She was named a "Dealmaker of the Week" by The American Lawyer for her representation of CommScope, Inc. in its sale to The Carlyle Group for $3.9 billion in 2011. She was ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, and as one of Avenue Magazine's "Top Women Lawyers" in New York City.
A preeminent fashion and retail lawyer, Lois Herzeca is the co-author, with Gibson Dunn partner Howard Hogan, of Fashion Law and Business: Brands & Retailers, a comprehensive guide to fashion law, published by the Practising Law Institute (2013).
Ms. Herzeca's fashion, apparel and celebrity clients and transactions have included: Helmut Lang, Proenza Schouler, Derek Lam, Thom Browne, David Yurman, Brian Atwood, Rachel Roy, Tabitha Simmons, Mila Kunis, Rachel Zoe, L'Wren Scott, Maria Cornejo, Loeffler Randall, Dannijo, Beth Ditto, Milk Studios and Zumba Fitness. She has also represented Goldman, Sachs & Co. as financial advisor in numerous public M&A retail industry deals, including Sycamore Partners' acquisition of Belk Inc., Ascena Retail Group's acquisition of Ann Inc., and the Hudson's Bay acquisition of Saks Inc.
Ms. Herzeca is a Lecturer in Law on fashion and retail law at the University of Pennsylvania Law School and a member of the Advisory Board of the FAME (Fashion, Art, Media and Entertainment) Center at Cardozo School of Law.
Ms. Herzeca has written more than 40 articles for legal and financial publications. She has also spoken at conferences for the Practising Law Institute, Mergermarket, the Strategic Research Institute and The Conference Board. Ms. Herzeca has been quoted extensively in such publications as The Wall Street Journal, Law 360, The AmLaw Daily, Investment Dealers Digest, New York Magazine and The New York Law Journal.
Ms. Herzeca earned her Juris Doctor cum laude from the Boston University School of Law. In 2009, Boston University honored her with an Alumni Pro Bono award recognizing her many community-based and international pro bono initiatives. She is a board member of WIN and serves on the New York City Bar Association's Fashion Law Committee.
Representative Recent Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Mergers/Acquisitions and Antitrust Considerations," 2016 Fashion Law Conference, Federal Bar Association (February 2016).
- Program Chair, "Fashion and Retail Law: Trends and Developments," PLI (May 2015).
- Speaker, "Webinar: Open for Business: Predictions for 2015 Retail and Consumer M&A," Merrill Corporation (February 2015).
- Speaker, "The Cutting Edge: Private Equity and the Luxury Fashion Industry," New York City Bar (January 2015).
- Speaker, "Webcast: Fashion Law," National Business Institute (July 2014).
- Program Chair, "Fashion and Retail Law," PLI (May 2014).
- Speaker, "Webcast: Fashion Law – The Global Challenge," PLI (December 2012).
- Speaker, "Podcast: 2011 M&A Trends," Mergermarket (March 2011).