Hans Martin Schmid is a German-qualified partner in the Munich office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. He is a member of the firm's International Tax and Real Estate Groups.
Mr. Schmid is experienced in all areas of national and international tax law, with particular emphasis on fund and investment structures, corporate reorganizations, restructurings, joint ventures, financing structures, and financial and derivative instruments.
Mr. Schmid has developed significant expertise in the taxation of trusts and tax-planning for high net worth individuals. He provides tax advice for major public and private corporations, multi-nationals, investment banks, insurance companies, private equity and real estate funds and foundations.
Legal Experts EMEA 2013 ranks Mr. Schmid among the leading Tax lawyers in Germany, while the The Legal 500 series has noted that he has an "impressive tax record".
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Schmid was a partner at a U.S. corporate law firm in Munich.
Mr. Schmid speaks German and English.
Representative Transactions include:
- Advice to Ascott Group regarding tax structure and in its acquisition of a new hotel development project.
- Bausch & Lomb, in various commercial leases for German subsidiaries.
- Transaction tax advice to Berker GmbH & Co. KG.
- Celanese Corporation, in a major refinancing and restructuring transaction.
- Computer Sciences Corporation, in the reorganization of the German operations, including transfer pricing issues and representation in tax audit.
- Tax advice to Euro Hypo AG on a realestate restructuring.
- Investcorp in
- the acquisition of APCOA, the leading pan-European parking operator, and subsequent sale to Eurazeo;
- the acquisition of Armacell International GmbH. Advice included the structuring of a management equity program;
- the acquisition of Time Partner Group. Advice included the structuring of a management equity program.
- K2, in its acquisition and reorganization of Völkl, including transfer pricing issues and representation in tax audit.
- Lehman Brothers Real Estate Partners in
- the acquisition of a German real estate portfolio from the German insurance company DBV-Winterthur;
- a joint venture for the acquisition, development and financing of an office tower in Frankfurt;
- connection with other real estate investments.
- Oakley, in the reorganization of German operations, including transfer pricing issues.
- Siemens Enterprise Communications GmbH & Co. KG ("SEN"), in the formation of a strategic sales and service partnership with a provider of IT solutions, which includes the sale of SEN's local operations across 27 countries.
- Süd-Chemie AG, in the sale of its Performance Additives Business Unit to U.S.-based specialized chemical company Rockwood.
- Ticketmaster, in the acquisition of Kartenhaus GmbH, located in Hamburg.
- WeightWatchers, regarding tax questions relating to its German business activities, including transfer pricing issues.
- A leading U.S. retailer in its sale of German retail business.
Membership of Professional Bodies
Admitted as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) since 1996
Admitted as a certified tax lawyer since 2000
Admitted as a tax adviser since 2000