Mark Zimmer is a German-qualified partner in the Munich office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
A Certified Expert for Employment Law, Mr. Zimmer advises companies in all labor and employment-related matters. His practice particularly covers reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, collective dismissals and negotiations with works councils or unions, as well as hiring and separation of executives. He also represents companies in court.
A special focus of his practice is compliance, especially the prevention and detection of, as well as reaction to, fraud, corruption and similar violations. Mr. Zimmer has developed particular expertise in the international and German law aspects of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") as well as of the UK Bribery Act and is experienced in FCPA investigations. He has conducted internal investigations relating to businesses in several European countries, as well as in Egypt, Brazil, Lebanon, Morocco, Nigeria, Russia and Uzbekistan. Especially noteworthy is his work as part of the Siemens Compliance Monitorship Team.
The JUVE Handbook 2011/2012 recommended Mr. Zimmer as a leading employment lawyer and has commented on his "outstanding expertise". Legal Experts EMEA 2013 and Chambers Europe 2013 also ranked Mr. Zimmer among the leading employment lawyers in Germany. Chambers Europe has commented "sources appreciate his excellent guidance as well as his availability and business sense" and note that he is "rated for his wide-ranging expertise". In addition, Best Lawyers Germany 2012 has recognized Mr. Zimmer as a leading lawyer in the Litigation category. The JUVE Handbook 2011/2012 also recommends the Munich office's White Collar Defense and Investigation team in the category "Compliance Investigations".
Mr. Zimmer has published several articles on labor law matters. He is a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences on HR and compliance issues, such as restructuring, outsourcing and corruption, and a guest lecturer at the German Armed Forces University in Munich.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn in 2008, Mr. Zimmer worked in other international law firms throughout Germany.
He is fluent in English and also speaks French and some Arabic.
- A worldwide cable manufacturer, in its outsourcing of logistics activities.
- Colt Telecom's service line business, in its outsourcing.
- Eaton, in its site closure and mass redundancy.
- Raytheon Aerospace, in its downsizing of German operations.
- Several software companies regarding their restructuring.
- Several companies on their purchases, including negotiations with unions and works councils.
- Pilot trials at Federal Labor Court regarding interpretation of collective agreements.
- An automotive company, in its international bribery case.
- A leading technology group, in the biggest German corruption scandal.
- A network technology firm, in its investigations in Lebanon and Nigeria.
- Representation of an engineering company against its fraudulent manager in China.
- Protecting an electronic firm against its fraudulent procurement staff.
- Multinational coordination of personnel actions, in embargo case.
- Numerous litigation cases against fraudulent employees.
Membership of Professional Bodies
Mr. Zimmer has been admitted as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) since 1996. He is a member of Deutsch-Amerikanische Juristen-Vereinigung e.V. (German-American Lawyers Association).