Philip Martinius is a German-qualified partner in the Munich office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. He is a member of the firm's International Corporate Transactions Group with expertise in domestic and transnational corporate transactions.
Mr. Martinius specializes in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate law. His practice focuses on public company transactions, i.e., public tender offers, de-listings, squeeze-outs and related securities law issues, as well as on general M&A transactions and joint ventures.
Clients have recommended Mr. Martinius for “his technical prowess and his superb negotiation skills” (Chambers Global Directory) as well as his “profound know-how, especially during complex transactions” (JUVE Handbook). He was recommended as one of the leading lawyers in Germany in the categories Corporate and M&A by Legal Experts EMEA 2013, Legal 500 EMEA 2012 and Best Lawyers 2012, who also recognized him as a leading lawyer for Private Equity. In addition, Mr. Martinius was recommended as a "Private-Equity specialist" by the JUVE Handbook 2011/12.
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Martinius was a junior partner at a major German law firm in Munich and has practiced law since 1997.
Mr. Martinius regularly publishes on M&A / corporate law topics. He is fluent in German, English and French and also speaks Italian and Spanish.
Representative Transactions include:
- as part of a consortium led by Apax Partners and Good Energies in a €24 million investment in CSG Solar AG, a company that has developed second-generation thin-film solar-module technologies;
- in an investment in SuSE Linux AG (a German open-source software company).
- Bausch & Lomb, Inc, in its formation of a worldwide joint venture in the field of refractive surgery with 20/10 Perfect Vision AG.
- CSFB Strategic Partners, in its secondary purchase of 9 investments in one American and five German TVM-Venture-Capital-Funds of two European institutional investors.
- Giesecke & Devrient GmbH, in its formation of a joint venture with a partner in Taiwan.
- Ingram Micro Europe N.V., in its de-listing and squeeze-out of the minority shareholders of Macrotron AG.
- Investcorp in
- the acquisition and subsequent sale of APCOA, the leading pan-European parking operator, to Eurazeo;
- the acquisition of a majority share of the German Time Partner Group, a temporary employment company based in Nuremberg, from Auctus and the management. With more than 5.000 employees at 50 locations, the Time Partner Group ranks among the top ten temporary employment companies in Germany;
- the PIPE investment, including a capital injection into Mania Technologie AG, as well as the restructuring of existing indebtedness and the acquisition of a substantial ownership position in Mania.
- Saputo Inc., in its acquisition of the German cheese manufacturer Spezialitäten-Käserei De Lucia GmbH.
- Siemens Enterprise Communications GmbH & Co. KG ("SEN"), in its formation of a strategic sales and service partnership with a provider of IT solutions, which includes the sale of SEN's local operations across 27 countries.
- Advised a U.S. investor in the acquisition of a semiconductor fab in Germany coupled with a long-term supply agreement.
- T-Venture in
- the investment in Swyx Solutions GmbH, a market leading European specialist for IP-based telephone solutions;
- various other venture capital transactions.
- A Major Retailer, in the disposal of its German business to a German competitor.
Membership of Professional Bodies
Admitted as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) since 1997
Former President of the Corporate Acquisitions & Joint Ventures Commission of the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
Member of German Association for Corporate Law (VGR)
Member of Munich M&A Forum (MMA)