An integral part of the Firm's dispute resolution capabilities is the International Arbitration Practice, which advises leading multinationals in arbitration proceedings across the world. Our lawyers are ranked as leaders in major directories, including Chambers Global and UK and PLC's Which Lawyer?, and are frequent speakers and writers on arbitration topics. They have experience working with all major arbitral institutions and rules, including:
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC);
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA);
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID);
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)/International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR);
- Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC);
- UNCITRAL Rules (UNCITRAL);
- Swiss Rules;
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC); and
- Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Our cases arise in the context of concession and privatization agreements, infrastructure projects, insurance and reinsurance arrangements, joint ventures, licensing and distribution agreements, and complex financial transactions. We have deep experience in the energy, telecommunications, insurance, construction, pharmaceutical, and banking sectors, and we handle the complete range of disputes our clients may face, whether related to contract or investment treaty. Our practitioners have appeared before many of the world's leading arbitrators.
We advise clients on each stage of the dispute resolution process, from the drafting of arbitration clauses, to mediation or early neutral evaluation, to the conduct of arbitration proceedings and through to the enforcement of arbitral awards. We regularly assist clients in litigation involving arbitration issues and have represented clients in national court proceedings under the US Federal Arbitration Act, the English Arbitration Act and the New York Convention.
The collective experience of our arbitration practitioners includes the following representations:
- A major oil company in a $1.5 billion ICC arbitration in London regarding a dispute arising from the purchase and sale of an Eastern European refinery.
- A European investor regarding fair treatment claims under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Defending US Court proceedings seeking to enjoin a major oil company’s investment treaty arbitration against a Central American State.
- Multiple LCIA arbitrations representing investors in a dispute concerning ownership of a landmark Russian hotel construction and redevelopment project.
- A joint venture contractor in a $1 billion ICC construction arbitration in Mexico City arising from the expansion and upgrading of an oil refinery and crude oil pipelines owned by a Latin American government.
- An oil refinery in the Russian Federation in an UNCITRAL arbitration in London arising out of the design and provision of an oil refinery unit by an Ecuadorian engineering firm.
- An offshore oil and gas contractor in a $100 million AAA arbitration arising out of the construction of an offshore natural gas pipeline around Boston, Massachusetts.
- A US energy company in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of a shares valuation in an Italian wind power project.
- A major oil company in connection with potential claims for expropriation under the Energy Charter Treaty and various bilateral investment treaties.
- Several major oil companies in an expert determination in London arising out of an oil rig joint venture contract with the joint venture operator relating to North Sea drilling.
- A consortium of major oil companies in connection with potential claims for expropriation under the Energy Charter Treaty and various bilateral treaties relating to a substantial offshore construction project.
- A UK oil and gas company in connection with potential claims under bilateral investment treaties and the Energy Charter Treaty regarding its investments in Ukraine and Georgia.
- A major oil company in a $250 million ICC arbitration in London arising from the divestment of an Eastern European refinery, pipeline and export company.
- A contractor in a $75 million ICDR arbitration in New York involving on- and off-shore pipeline construction on the Sakhalin Island project.
- A Netherlands-based petroleum exploration company in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore relating to the suspension or termination of a contract with a State in Southeast Asia for the provision of engineering data.
- A UK chemicals company in an ICC arbitration in Paris arising out of a paints/chemicals pricing dispute with its distributor in Spain.
- A US contractor in an ICC arbitration in Cairo arising out of the reconstruction of the Sheraton Heliopolis Hotel.
- A major US manufactured home builder in an ICC arbitration alleging design and construction defects in a new housing development in Saudi Arabia.
- A semi-public Brazilian energy company in a multi-million dollar ICC arbitration in Paris, against a Libyan state entity in relation to well-drilling operations in Libya.
- A French investor under the ECT in relation to the operation of oil refineries in Bulgaria.
Mining and Metals
- A Brazilian mining conglomerate in an ICC arbitration in Paris regarding a dispute arising from the termination of long-term contracts to purchase and ship iron ore.
A Canadian mining company in an ICC arbitration in London regarding a dispute over mining concession rights in Ghana.
An aluminum manufacturing company in a former Soviet Union country in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of an alumina supply contract dispute with a Norwegian company.
An aluminum manufacturing company in a former Soviet Union country in a Swiss Rules arbitration in Zurich arising out of contracts relating to the delivery and financing of alumina.
- A multinational telecommunications conglomerate regarding expropriation and fair treatment in connection with a multi-billion dollar investment in Eastern Europe.
- A telecommunications joint venture in a $1 billion ICC arbitration in Stockholm arising out of an Eastern European privatization of telecommunications services.
- A European contractor in an ICC arbitration with a state agency concerning the termination of an agreement to implement a digital terrestrial television network in an Eastern European country.
- A Middle Eastern cable manufacturer in an ICC arbitration arising out of a contract for the expansion and modernization of the telecommunications system in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A major Indian telecommunications corporation in an ICC arbitration in The Hague arising out of the interpretation of a joint venture agreement to construct and maintain a subsea cable project linking Europe and Asia.
- A UK investment fund in an ICC arbitration in London arising out of a joint venture dispute in India regarding the share ownership of a major telecommunications corporation.
- A minority shareholder of a Nigerian telecommunications company in an LCIA arbitration arising out of a claim for breach of a share sale agreement.
- A major UK telecommunications company in an LCIA "fast track" arbitration in London arising out of Undertakings to the European Commission for a mobile roaming program challenged by a Spanish telecommunications company.
- A major Swedish telecommunications company in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of a joint venture contract for the purchase and development of telecommunications companies in the Baltic States.
- A major Swedish telecommunications company in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of the disclosure of confidential business information in a Baltic State by a joint venture partner.
- A South Korean telecommunications company in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of a joint venture contract with a Ukrainian company for the provision of telephone services in Ukraine.
- A major UK telecommunications company in an UNCITRAL arbitration in London arising out of a joint venture contract with another major UK telecommunications company for the ownership and operation of a telecommunications company in Spain.
- A major cable company in an AAA/ICDR arbitration concerning the disputed sale of a holding company with interests in various Russian wireless ventures.
- Investors in an LCIA arbitration in London concerning disputed ownership of a Kazakh telecommunications company.
- A multinational telecommunication and media company in a 2.4 billion euro dispute over a joint venture agreement.
- A major European financial institution in an ICC arbitration arising out of the termination of services and technology agreements for the establishment of a structured derivatives business.
- A major financial institution based in the UK and the Middle East in an ICC arbitration in Lausanne arising out of the sale and purchase of a bank in Beirut.
- A UK financial institution in an LCIA arbitration concerning claims under political risk insurance coverage following civil unrest at a gold mine in the Solomon Islands.
- A Czech subsidiary of a US financial institution in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of a business restructuring and privatization program implemented by a Czech government agency.
- A major UK and Middle East financial institution in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of currency trading transactions and services with a trading client in the United Arab Emirates.
- A Russian Federation bank (Ekaterinburg) in an UNCITRAL arbitration in London arising out of a lending program initiated and operated by a major multilateral financial institution headquartered in London.
- A major US finance company in an AAA arbitration in Albuquerque arising out of a financing program for mobile home dealers in the southwestern United States.
- A major insurer in several international arbitrations in the pharmaceutical and financial services sectors, including disputes in relation to product liability and securities claims valued at more than $1 billion.
- A US insurer in an ad hoc proceeding arising from the unwinding of a PA LMX spiral.
- A group of European insurers in an ad hoc arbitration with a US state insurance department regarding claims related to pooled reinsurance participations.
- A reinsurer in an LCIA arbitration relating to claims arising from financing of English football clubs.
- A global leader in technology and travel services in an ICC arbitration in Paris regarding a dispute arising from a long-term distribution agreement.
- Floyd Landis in a CAS arbitration in Lausanne and New York arising out of the actions taken by the United States Anti-Doping Agency regarding Mr. Landis's victory in the 2006 Tour de France competition.
- A US engineering company in an ICC arbitration in Paris arising out of the cancellation of an aircraft engine supply contract.
- A UK travel and leisure company in an ICC arbitration in Madrid arising out of warranty claims relating to the sale of its subsidiary to a Spanish travel company.
- A major Saudi Arabian publishing company in an ICC arbitration in London arising out of the termination of a contract with a UK publishing company for the adaptation and translation of school textbooks for use by the Saudi Ministry of Education.
- The Australian subsidiary of a UK pharmaceuticals company in an LCIA arbitration in London arising out of the termination of a contract with a US manufacturer for the licensing and distribution of a drug in Australia.
- An Australian software design company in an ad hoc arbitration under the English Arbitration Act 1996 in London arising out of a licensing and distribution contract with an agent in Southeast Asia.